Under the leadership of the library director, Dr Nora Buchanan, the library provides services to all campuses of the University.
There are five main campus libraries and a number of branch libraries:
- Edminson Library, Edgewood
- EG Malherbe Library, Barrie Biermann Architecture Library, Eleanor Bonnar Music Library and GMJ Sweeney Law Library, Howard College
- Medical Library, Victor Daitz Library HIV/AIDS Information Gateway, Medical School
- Cecil Renaud Main Library, Law Library, Life Sciences Library, Pietermaritzburg
- Main Library, Joe Ryan Dentistry Library, Westville
- Killie Campbell Africana Library in Durban
- Alan Paton Centre and Struggle Archives in Pietermaritzburg
- Gandhi-Luthuli Documentation Centre in Westville
- University Archives in Pietermaritzburg
Together, the libraries contain more than 1.4 million volumes of journals, books, theses, reports and other print media. In addition there is an audiovisual collection and access to a growing number of electronic resources. Currently more than 28 000 electronic journals can be accessed through library subscriptions to journals and databases. Electronic books are also available.